Most recent check of all links: July 7, 2010
This page lists English-language websites that provide substantive non-commercial information about specific aspects of Japanese culture and society.
We try to sift through the huge volume of Japan-related sites to select pages that are particularly informed and engaging, with a few intriguing or unusual topics thrown in for seasoning.
Can't find what you're looking for? The Launch Points section lists websites which provide extensive Japan links--enough to keep you surfing for a year and then some.
Geography & Maps
- Anthropologist Dr. R. Chalfen's commentaries about photography and home media in Japan, including Significance of Personal Photography , photos in pet cemeteries,. Click on the book with the ? and on the inbox.
- Quirky Japan for those wanting more unusual tourist and websites.
- Ingeborg Endo's photographs and commentaries also give an unusual view of Japan.
- Learn About Japan. A beautiful and informative site from Cleveland State University (Ohio) with hyperlinked photo essays about all sorts of topics.
- Captain Japan's "sake drenched" photo essays on a long list of interesting topics.
- John Donaldson's photos of school life, of Japanese houses, baseball, food, kites...
- Danny Choo's site has hundreds of photo sets, especially about anime and popular culture.
- Sushicam--Jeff Laitila's huge and wonderful photo journal of Japan, with frequent new updates and commentary.
- Japan Times photo galleries -- hundreds of competition photo sets and videos -- all sorts of viewpoints.
- Photo Japan. Philip Ono's huge site which reviews Japanese photography in many contexts. old postcards, hip teens in Harajuku, popular magazines, many pages of illustrated history of Japanese photography.
Japanese Media in English
- Trends in Japan.
- News On Japan, a new site that pulls together today's news articles about Japan from English-language news services.
- Japan Times: Japan's main English language newspaper.
- Yomiuri Newspaper
- Mainichi Daily News
- Asahi Daily News
- Japan INC Communications' Japan.com, online news and articles about business and society.
- Nipponia--Short, current essays on culture, everyday life.
- Japan Focus An online journal with knowledgeable articles on economics, politics, social issues.
- Global Communications : debates, position papers, and English-language press articles about current issues in Japan.
- A list of Japanese live stream radio. Even if you don't understand Japanese, tune in and catch the mood, the music,
the sound of non-classroom Japanese.
- NHK Listen in on Japan's national radio and TV.
- Paul Halsall's Internet
East Asian History
- Ancient Japan Richard Hooker's beautiful website
- Photo History 1646-2000
- Welcome to Edo. You can spend a good while touring 18th century Edo (Tokyo) on Matsushima Ken's webpages, with detailed historical accounts of different places, each illustrated with woodcuts.
- Black Ships and Samurai This elegant online course from MIT's John Dower and Shigeru Miyagawa looks at the mid-19th century opening of Japan to America's Black Ships.
- Diary of American in Tokyo 1923 Earthquake
- Good Old Days JAPAN
- Camp Harmony--story of Japanese-American Internment
- Japan in World War II History links from Japan 101.
- Chronology of the Pacific War in photos from the History Place.
- Kajimoto's online documentary, The Nanking Atrocities, and Massacres and atrocities of WWII
- Lessons from Hiroshima public radio documentary on the 60th anniversary of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, with Walter Cronkite narrating. The author of this website helped with most of the interviews in this show.
Atom Bomb survivor stories, More survivor accounts, Yamahata's Nagasaki bombing photographs
- The 1947 Japanese Constitution
Occupation of Japan, 1948-1951 Anthropologist John Bennett's elegant website about his years in Japan: journals, letters, many photographs.
Agriculture, Rural Life
- Roger & Marilyn's Photo Tour of Tokyo
- Takaki's stunning photos of Tokyo streets and architecture.
- Night stroll in Tokyo, a short video that captures the mood of narrow streets and evenings out on the town.
- Rob Murphy's photos of real life in urban Japan--from pets to toilets to neon and public school buildings, graveyards, and love hotels ....
- Egawauemon's steady camera produced videos documenting early morning to late night: touring Kyoto, Tokyo during cherry blossom Hanami, another one of Tokyo in September, different kinds of shopping streets in Fukuoka , a snowy day in the well-preserved mountain town of Takayama, a canal boat trip through a watery castle town in Kyushuu, old town Osaka, and several others.
- Japan Through Young Eyes Kanda University students' site posts this section on "Young Tokyo".
- Know Before You Go Rob Murphey has lots of practical advice for folks who are about to be traveling, living, or working in Japan, including a discussion of Japanese etiquette for foreign visitors.
- Culture & Society: Short video commentaries on a range of cultural and social aspects of life in Japan by well-known scholars Ted Bestor and Helen Hardacre.
- An interview with anthropologist
Anne Allison about her study of motherhood in Japan.
- Christian weddings are cool. More.
Business & Workplace
Leisure, Tourism, Consumerism
Literature & Folklore
Arts & Fashions
- Japanese Cuisine. All sorts of information about Japanese food: recipes, regional specialities, restaurants, vocabulary, articles. Kansai tastes. Japanese cities love to brag about their local cuisines. Though in my experience, none of it comes close to the flavors and colors of dinners in northern Iwate province where the cooks grew their own vegetables and fished for their own suppers.
- Cookbook for Kids How to cook the basics, and how to eat politely.
- Japanese foods, including rice balls, eels, miso, anpan, and pickles. Plus a section on Table Manners.
- Japanese Cuisine(Virtual Museum)
- Flikr "Washoku" stream Slideshow of from flikr posts of Japanese food. Great illustrations the care Japanese cuisine puts into making food *look beautiful* as well as taste good and be healthy.
- Virtual Japanese Restaurant (and recipes)
- The Web's First Japanese Pizza Page
- Sushi-master's photo chart. The site also has a section on the business of sushi, and a photo explanation of how to eat sushi politely.
- Rolling Your Own Sushi . If you want to eat at a sushi bar, Sushi A La Carte tells you all you need to know.
- Sushi Chef Apprentice A photographed day in the life of....
- Chika's She Who Eats Blog has lots of photographs, many of food, agriculture, seasons, with commentary from the author who lives in Tokyo. Also check out her extensive flikr pages.
Sports & Games
Launch Points for Japan web resources in English:
- The large WWW directory Web Japan, and it's delightful web pages for kids, Kids web Japanand their
- Japan Reference A large links database.
- JapanZone An encylopedia of Japan, with short & sweet articles on culture, entertainment, geography
- Schauwecker's Guide to Japan has lots of info for tourists and foriegners living in Japan. Scroll to the bottom of the page for links to many short topic articles on the site.
- Japan 101 Thousands of pages and accessible articles.
- Jim Breen's website focuses on Japanese language, but also has dozens of great links to all sorts of Japan-related sites.
- Wa-pedia Maciamo's site has lots of photos, information of all sorts, and a forum with many topics going.
- Larry Stockton's Japan Links
- About.com Japanese culture pages -- mostly links about arts and sports.
- Stanford's J Guide Links for business users as well as the usual Japan-related topics.
- The Japan Foundation homepage
- Bridge to Japan
- Duke University's East Asian Resources pages
- Japan-American Societies, a substantive site with articles and information about Japan, and the US/Japan relationship, as well as news, local links to Japan-America societies around the US.
- Nikkei View Gil Asakawa's blog and articles: -- a Japanese-American view of Japan's popular culture.